Before I start this post, let me just say that the deadline for the upcoming Techstars Patriot Bootcamp is TOMORROW – 4 April. So, if you’re a veteran (or spouse) entrepreneur or entrepreneur wannabe and the Bootcamp appeals to you, you’ll need to hustle on over to their website to submit their online application. If that’s a little too quick for you, well, then keep this resource in mind, as more Bootcamps will be held at least yearly (though possibly every six months in the future).
Since the deadline is tomorrow, I’m going to keep this short and sweet. Here are the basics:
– Who: 50-75 servicemembers, veterans, and spouses who are interested in launching or growing their business concept. Various business endeavors will be considered, with special emphasis on technology based ideas.
– What: Held over three days, the Techstars Patriot Bootcamp is an intense lesson in entrepreneurial education, with classes on everything from how to incorporate your business correctly to how to improve your pitch. The Bootcamp is sponsored by Techstars, which describes itself as a “mentorship-driven seed stage investment program.” (Note: Only education, not seed money, is on offer at the Bootcamp. However, any company that attends the Bootcamp has the possibility of moving into Techstars’ RisingStars program or even into Techstars seed program. So far, 13 veteran companies have made the jump from Bootcamp to Rising Stars, 7 to Techstars’ Accelerators program, and 2 to Techstars proper.)
– When: 16-18 May 2014.
– Where: The last two years, the Bootcamp has been held in DC. This year, it will be held at the Goldman Sachs New York City Headquarters. Participants must be able to physically attend all three days of the training.
– Why: The program, which is offered for FREE, is Techstars way of giving back. They believe veterans have what it takes to lead in the business world and they want to help them connect with the information and network they need to make that happen. In its third year, the Bootcamp has already helped almost 180 servicemembers, veterans, and spouses launch and/or grow their businesses.
– Application details:
- Can be completed online.
- You’ll need to provide: contact information, website, LinkedIn profile, details on your (or your spouse’s) military service for verification purposes. Resume (1 page only), cover letter (1 paragraph only), video of yourself (limited to 1 minute) are optional.
- You’ll need to be prepared to answer questions about why you want to participate in the Techstars Patriot Bootcamp, what skills you possess to succeed with a tech startup, what qualities do you possess that set you apart from others in the tech field, and details on your business or business idea (name, website if applicable), why the idea differs from others in the same market, your target market and how you plan to reach them, and how you plan to grow your business.
You can find out more about Techstars Patriot Bootcamp and apply for it here.
And don’t forget, applications are due TOMORROW, 4 April.
© 2014 – 2020, Sarah Maples LLC. All rights reserved.