Whenever my husband isn’t chipping or putting in the yard or playing in a tournament, he usually has the Golf Channel on. By virtue of osmosis, I have picked up a few things about the game and even recognize a few of the more common names, including sportscaster David Feherty. The Irish-born golfer turned commentator is memorable, not just because of his wit and lilt, but also because of his dedication to wounded warriors.
In 2008, Feherty co-founded the non-profit Feherty’s Troops First Foundation with Rick Kell. The Foundation, which Guidestar rates as a Silver-Level Exchange Participant, has, since its inception, developed multiple programs designed to help combat-wounded Post-9/11 servicemembers. The list of programs include:
– Operation Front Door – This is a grant program designed to help wounded warriors become and remain home owners.
– Operation Coaches & Warriors – This initiative pairs wounded warriors with their favorite basketball coaches for messages of support and even mentorship.
– Operation V.I.P. – This program brought celebrities to the burn unit of Brooke Army Medical Center to raise morale.
– Operation Proper Exit – You may have heard of this one; it’s been featured in several news stories and even made an appearance in the show Covert Affairs. Since June, 2009, the Foundation has taken 83 wounded servicemembers back to the combat zones from which they were previously medevaced (67 to Iraq and 16 to Afghanistan) to allow them some closure.
– I.E.D.s or Improvised Explosive Days – Annual events which allow recovering wounded warriors a day of golf and fun alongside Feherty and Troops First supporters.
– The Leroy Petry Village of Honor – This “village,” named after Medal of Honor winner and Ranger Sergeant First Class Leroy Petry, will contain 7 homes for combat-wounded servicemembers who are transitioning out of the military, but who have extensive time (1-2 years) remaining at Walter Reed. The houses will be located on Chief Chris Kyle Court, in memory of former sniper and Navy SEAL, Chris Kyle, and will be provided at no cost to the servicemembers.
© 2014 – 2020, Sarah Maples LLC. All rights reserved.